Jersey Girl Librarian

Hi, My name is Sherry, I am a Librarian working in Charlotte North Carolina. I have recently moved to the Charlotte area from New Jersey. As my blog title shows I am a Jersey Girl at heart and wherever I go, so goes my Jersey pride.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Holidays

What is it with holidays?! I am an adult, with no kids, and can afford the essential things that I need in life. I try not to buy myself things that are not absolutely needed and I try to give gifts like that as well. Okay, occasionally I splurge on myself and get something fun, and my gifts aren't always practical. I don't expect nor want extravagant gifts and I think that people should respect that. This time of year, whether you celebrate Hanukkah or Christmas (or both like me) or another holiday isn't it the thought that counts, not the size or the monetary amount of the gift that matter?
Case in point, My father-in-law, all year long I hear how they don't have money, money is so tight, blah, blah, blah. But when it comes to Christmas he goes all out and gets gifts that his grown kids and kids-in-law don't need or want. He just buys buys buys with no thought. I so want to say to him if you didn't spend so much at Christmas you wouldn't be scraping by the rest of the year, but I keep my mouth shut for family harmony.
Two years ago I asked for sheets, he was appalled that I could ask for something so practical (the ones I asked for were pretty expensive). He got me a George Foreman Rotisserie grill that is still in the box, last year it was a panini maker that is also still in the box. He knows I don't want or use these things but yet he buys them for me. (Apparently he thinks I am a bad cook)
This year, when he asked me what I want I thought I was finally prepared for him, but alas I still was not as extravagant, outlandish and non-practical as he wants. I asked for a fish tank. Not at all practical, not at all serious, and not big enough for him. I specifically asked for a 3-5 gallon tank that is easily transportable, easy maintenance and if I ever get tired of the fish, can be stored easily. Apparently a 5-gallon tank is not big enough he wants me to get a 12-15 gallon one. We have been "discussing" this for a few weeks now and I am frustrated at his lack of respect for my decisions.
He is not the only one I continually have this conversation with, I just don't have the space for everyone.
And isn't this holiday supposed to be for kids anyway? It has been a long time since I have been a kid and I don't feel I should be treated like one where my opinions don't matter.

Why does everything have to be so big and extravagant? Why can't it be what I want?!

Bah Humbug.

Happy holidays, what ever it is you celebrate!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger mannaisme said…

    Sorry dear, hope that your Merry Whatever was at least somewhat merry. Does he not give receipts so that you can return? Oh the oafishness of mankind in general during such a blessed season never ceases to amaze.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you get any homely Christmas decorations too this year from them? Do you still have the tree topper?
    Also, he is Italian, Italian men don't give women credit for knowing what they want. Also, men in general always think bigger is better (we won't take THAT comment any further).
    You could look at the bright side...at least he wants to get you something.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home